HELLO AND WELCOME

Thanks for dropping by.

Friday, June 22, 2012

This Week 23rd June 2012

Manutukutuku - the birdman kite is traditionally flown at Matariki
It's been a lovely week - I've had the best time, even though it's mid winter.
We have begun a tradition in the past few years of celebrating Matariki, or Maori New Year in our house.  It's a quiet time of year for us, so we are able to take some time out to celebrate this time of great fertility and possibility.
It's a time to celebrate new beginnings, sometime around the shortest day, and marked by the rising of Pleiadies - a constellation of which we can see seven stars, called the Seven Sisters, in the dawn sky to the east.
In the northern hemisphere midwinter is usually celebrated marked as Christmas and there's feasting and breaking out of precious stored food to celebrate, while we are roasting in our midsummer heat!
It feels so much more appropriate for us to celebrate our midwinter as the Maori did and we love their traditions that go with that.  I found this little montage made up by a group of schoolchildren which  explains simply and clearly what I mean...
We've had a week of small celebrations at home - good food and wine, flowers and time with friends.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
The lovely new batch of brooches I made have hit the website - treat yourself to a shot of colour to brighten up your winter wardrobe - call it a Matariki gift!
Here are just a few...
And to top off our week we're going out to the gorgeous Ratanui Lodge for dinner with friends this evening to celebrate mid-winter Christmas (though the Toy Boy and I will call it Matariki, thanks).
And here's a warm fuzzy sent to me via Facebook today - it's lovely to get the GOOD news!

This picture of Chicago Christians who showed up at a gay pride parade to apologize for homophobia in the Church.
This is the first in a series of 20 images to restore your faith in human nature - please take a look - it will lighten your day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oups, I tried to leave comments but messed it up, so here again:) I love the starphotos you share with us in this post, and also the little glass hearts! Happy new year to you and your Family, greetings, Andrea

Andrea and Kim said...

I love this posting! It is so uplifting and it is lovely to hear about your traditions there. I have to say it has always befuddled me as to how one can celebrate Christmas on the beach, but I know many people do. This makes the most sense and I am glad you have found this mid-winter holiday and added it to your life. Your brooches are stunning! I will have to have a closer look/see at your offerings.

Happy New Year My Kiwi Friend!