HELLO AND WELCOME

Thanks for dropping by.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Inspirational Work of Melissa Schmidt



I've recently become aware of the work of glass bead artist Melissa Schmidt.

 She makes tiny glass bubbles on the lamp from borosilicate or pyrex style glass.  These first ones have an etched surface - something that is topical for me at the moment - I'm playing with etching a new series, but more of that later...

In these beads, which she initially developed as a birthday gift for her mother, she has inserted teeny tiny photographs, then sealed the bubble and hung it from a necklace...isn't it incredible?


She takes commissions and you can give her the photos that you would like to have added to your personalized piece.
A part of me wants to know the "how is it done?" bit, but another part of me just wants to sit back and enjoy the beautiful work!
Of course, the ones with the flowers in are my favourites!  But you could probably guess that!

Don't forget to visit the JULY WEBSITE SALE before it's too late!

6 comments:

Stitchbird said...

Ok so will blogger do its thing this time!! Loving the daisies Lesley.

Stitchbird said...

Yippee I can now leave comments on your blog!

Lesley said...

Yay! I don't really understand why what I did worked, but it did!

sukipoet said...

these are beautiful and the picture idea is great. thanks for the intro to another glass artist.

one of my first short stories i wrote was called "The Glassblower's Daughter" and in it the mother created glass items via the lamp method. of which i know nothing, had to look it up. but had seen people doing lamp work at the World's Fair and other lesser fairs at times and found it interesting. if i remember i can possibly scan that story and send to you.

Lesley said...

Thanks Suki - that sounds great - I'd love to read your story!
These beads are made on a lamp, but with borosilicate glass, and I'm blessed if I know how she for the flamable bits sealed inside the hot glass. It's one of life's little mysteries...

Kathy Van Kleeck said...

These are just amazing ... and she seems to be popping up in more places. I just saw a feature in American Craft as well. Thanks for sharing more of this extraordinary work!